Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Merticulous vs Trust

The other day, I tweeted:

Well, think about it... Did I commit the same error as I pointed out what someone else did? Really, need some reflection over this...

I've been 'labelled' being merticulous (actually duno how this impression was created... perhaps it's because of my kiasu nature? when sometimes tend to over prepare certain stuff (ok... it's a strength, but it's also my weakness).

So, did I learn my lesson to overdo less? Yes, I think so... when possible, will try to let go the info - whenever I remember, will ask myself, is the piece of info necesary? Think this is a very good guiding principle, especially for someone kiasu like me - an idiom in Chinese that describes my behaviour well: 宁可杀错,不可放过.

Yes. It's very scary when overwhelmed by lots of information - the info must serve some purpose; else why bother?

On the other hand, I did not realise there's another layer to it till that day's encounter - the kind of information we gather - creates an impression of the info collector! Why so?

Here's an illustration:

John leads the team to improve the environment in the neighbourhood and would like to seek feedback from all the residents. The purpose is really to gather inputs so that something that's feasible and relevant to the community could be worked out. I believe this is also how we could involve the stakeholders in decision making and create ownership. Thumbs-up for the intent!

However, the implementation requires everyone to put down their names alongside with the suggestion and feedback. This is where I thought more thinking and sensitivity the implementator has to take into consideration:
  • If the community is small and one could address/clarify the doubts easily, we don't need to know who made the comment.
  • If the purpose is to ensure everyone to contribute - and if one has no other comments and felt that what's proposed is already good enough? What do you expect one to write? "No Comments"? If there isn't any response, then will John go after the those who did not respond? Is such chasing necessary?

Is this micro-managing?

But my point is, if the purpose is to ensure everyone contributes, then the move would have defeat another important element that we strive to create within the team - TRUST. Sometimes, presentation is important - we have to be mindful how the reader perceives as he/she receives the things as a package - the Intent & the Implementation. If the Intent is good, but the Implementation did not take into consideration of recipient's reactions, it discounted the sincerity.

Oh... that reminds me... will John will take into consideration all the suggestions? Will John make an attempt to respond to those whose suggestions are not going to be considered at this point of time? Will history repeat? We shall see...

1 comment:

OOI Ching Ya said...

Well said and understood! ^^