Saturday, May 01, 2010

Chicago, the Musical

This was something scheduled more than 6 months ago! Yes, I was very kiasu! This musical is pretty different those that I know (e.g. Les Miserable, Phathom of the Opera, etc), at least... More often, the first contact is the broadway musical (with the exception of the Sound of the Music).

However, for Chicago, the first time I saw it was in TV! Yes, it was more than 5 years ago when I was in Bhutan (ironically)! I watched it several times ('cos there were a few repeated runs) all by myself in that cold dark sitting room... Yes, that was one of the premium entertainment I had then, in that little town... I grew from finding it so-so... to start liking it. It took me a little while to accept the context, indeed, which I found a bit ridiculous; however, nothing was impossible in US, I thought. The songs and dances were good (actually what else could I compare with?), not forgetting the strong cast, starring Richard Gere as Billy Flynn, Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly and Renée Zellweger as Roxie Hart.

The story is a satire on corruption in the administration of criminal justice, and the concept of the "celebrity criminal". One of the "most ridiculous" notion is "celebrity criminal"! The integrity, ethical issues, etc. Or is it about survival in that society? I wonder.

Enjoyed the strong and powerful female vocals! Bravo! I've not heard such good singing (that I could sway and move along) for such a long long time! Though there wasn't fantastic props (indeed, it's one with the simplest prop-set), I enjoyed the strengths, the emotions that were conveyed through the vocals!

Of course, it's also one of that caught me with surprise, in terms of the costumes - yes... the dancers, be it men or women, dressed so sexily... and yes, they danced so seducively, too! hahaa...

Thanks to Deone Zanotto who played Velma Kelly and Sharon Millerchip who played Roxy Hart for the great afternoon :D

1 comment:

lookang said...

http://weelookang.blogspot.com/
address changed :)