Saturday, November 15, 2008

Good luck on your side...

It's not the title of the article that attracted me... but that image - don't know its name, but translating from chinese, it's the 4-petal leave.

As I read on... it briefly describe the 8 count-intuitive traits that help people to taste successes... They are:
1. They talk to strangers
2. They make small talk
3. They "drop" names
4. They eavesdrop and listen
5. They ask for or offer help
6. They go off the beaten track
7. They exit graciously
8. They say "Yes" when they want to say "No"

Couldn't associate to all of them... for some, have not tried them out before... of course, I guess I don't possess those traits... basically they are not in me... hahaha.... But looking at the list... some are pretty commonsensical... When look back, well... yes, unknowingly, I've applied some of them and they have helped me to connect to people...

For instance...
  • Talking to strangers... That was not in me! Till I went for the pre-departure orientation session before setting off to Bhutan... oh yes, realised how important it is to take the initiative to talk to people in order to get things done. This was more so, especially when in an unfamiliar piece of land where people prefer to speak some language that I don't understand! It's a survival skill. I would say, to me, it's really driven by needs! Just like the recent EXCEL fest when we promote the school to the public. Well, people stood around, because they were curious... but it's really up to us to catch this opportunity to bring them closer to us.
  • "Dropping" names... Hm... think not so much of dropping names, but coming to realise that hey, we know someone in common! hahaha... it helps the conversation to carry out... or creating an extra link to bind people together... For example, came to learn that a couple of my friends know colleagues at the workplace... haha! We have more common stuff to talk about... vice-versa, too... just like recently came to know that Jean knows Phua, who's my ex-colleague, and then she learnt that I know his wife, who was my NIE classmate! Apart from "dropping" names, I guess "dropping experiences" helps me to connect to more people, too (unexpectedly)! Didn't know that some people heard about me and my SVO experiences from others till we spoke about my one year stint there! What a small small world!
  • Exiting graciously... That's what I also hope to do. Yes, that's really really important to me... to me, it's kind of my responsibility to ensure things are fine before I left... It does everyone good... For sure, establishing a good relationship before parting helps in extending the network in future. Never never burn any bridges... We may need the help of others whom we have encountered... Ah! I guess EQ matters here!!!

No comments: