Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Phantom of the Opera

Today, it's the 2nd time I watch the musical... the first time... dates back to 2 March 1995, at the Kallang Theatre. Yes... I'm a Phantom Phan... Just came to know this term when went to its official site.

Indeed, it's the song, the music that captivated me... before I watched its 1st run in Singapore. It was a big thing then... the early days when broadway was brought into the local cultural scene.

The angel of the music indeed sang every day, every night... the voice... that brings us into the story... yes, following the flow of the story... just let the mind and soul flow with it... hm...

The experience... the crashing down of the chandelier... The lightening up of the dungeon... the phantom's cry and anger that touch the heart of the audience... Thanks to the training in the choir, that sharpens my hearing power and being able to 'hear' and tell the final details from the voices.

Yes, Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman are still my favourite phantom and Christine... Today, we had Brad Little... Yes, he's equally good... the voice sings and brings out the feelings of the phantom. Actually, it's "Christine's" voice that should take the centrestage of the entire performance... yes, the voice is good - and it hits the notes... but somehow the crystal clear voice was absent... what's heard over the 2.5 hours seems to be a voice masked by some 'roughness'... ok, it's not easy... but it's possible! at least Sarah Brightman has proven that :D

Hm... perhaps another ticket before the curtain closes in May...

Indeed, the movie version was out 2 years ago... yes, I got my eyes glued to the little screen when I was in the airplane... hm... I think I watched that on one of my return trips last year... there was a replay last weekend (thanks to GC who sounded me out) when I spent the solid 2.5 hours in front of the TV... what's the difference? Oh yes, the movie gave more details... more graphic... yes, it follows the book very very closely (Yes! I read the book, too! hahaha... it's rare for someone who seldom touches the book!). Of course, the 'close-ups' that we don't see in attending the theatre. On the other hand, the theatre makes up the real experience - that one can feel the 'power' of the phantom, one sees the chandelier crashing down, the grand of the masquerade, the magical transformation from one scene to another...


No comments: