Monday, March 14, 2011

Bad Hair Day 1 of my March vacation

This is my first 'lunch-out' - on my own - during this March vacation... all the way to the other end of the island, Choa Chu Kang. Haha... I must be crazy... but this is the most comforting thing I did in the first day of the March vacation.

"Unearthy" location
Blame it on this disorganised workshop that took place in the primary school which is situated in this remote part of the island. The closest MRT station to it was the Choa Chu Kang... oh! where is it??? Haiz... it's definitely a real challenge for a easterner who is never attracted to the western part of the island. (Oh yes, I'm bias, but I am always glad that I live in the self-sufficient east that enjoys better quality of air in this small island). Taking a cab from the MRT station to the school cost more than $7. So, you could imagine how accessible the school was! Oh please, do not volunteer your school as the location if it's so unaccessible!
 
The "best" was yet-to-come 
My name was not in the attendance list despite the fact the name was sent in earlier for this workshop! Haha! Good joke! I changed my mind and submitted my name for the workshop because we were reminded that a representative was at least expected since it's one of the targeted training for hit the KPI set at the cluster level!

Oh yes, it's supposedly beneficial to the participants. Indeed, I've not doubt about the intent. However, the way it's organised left much thoughts to... Hey, did you get the right person to coordinate? For goodness sake, if it's an ICT-related workshop, let every participant have access to the internet. I'm not being demanding, but it's an expectation in Singapore schools! I would have given my full understanding if it's conducted in some remote schools in Bhutan, but definitely not in an MOE school! Each cluster of participants (ranged from 3 to 6 people at the desk) to share 2 LAN cables! Can you imagine that???

What does this tell about the organiser? An unwilling organiser? We could read alot into it... by simply looking at the logistics arrangement. I'm not being to critical over how people did things, but as a host, there's a baseline to the kind of experience you want your guests to take away.

About the Workshop
This 3-hour session had provided me a good glimpse of what I could draw from the workshop, which I think the thinking behind was good, however, it would definitely be more beneficial if it's conducted within the school, rather than made up by participants from different schools.

I'll share more takeaway in my Learning Journey Blog.

The People I met...
To be specific, it's the first time I participated in workshop that involve fellow educators in the cluster. Unfortunately, people whom I met that morning didn't help to lift up the day... How should I describe? Hm... Just 2 words, "Very UNWelcoming"... that tells alot! I'm not a picky person... but I won't forget this very first experience with this group of participants!

Having to brave through the long and winding road to reach the school, I was already late for 20 minutes. Got myself settled down with the supposedly Maths & Science group - a group of teachers whom I believe were less that 5 years in service.

We were supposed to refer to the shared GoogleDocument and respond to some questions to be put up in a mindmapping software. Remember about the internet accessibility in the school??? Haha.. Of course, I had no access and had no slightest idea of what to answer. All faces were new to me.

All were SOOOO engaged in their own discussion and no one NOTICED this new addition to the group! Hahaha... I was transparent!!! I can't imagine this if it's going to happen back in my school! I'm very sure, this is something that we'll remind our teachers never never do this to fellow participants in any workshop! What does this tell others about YOU!?

Better still when I asked the one beside me to find out what's happening, "Could I take a look at the document?" Without turning or lifting her head, she just turned her laptop a little and carried on her conversation with her partner. How RUDE!!! A RUDE LONG-HAIR CREATURE! Anyway, having learnt what's the task, I carried on to do my mindmap on my own macbook. Anyway, contributed my 2-cent worth in the discussions in the 3-hours of 1st part of the workshop. That's ENOUGH! I guess the key is, an EDUCATOR who possessed NO BASIC MANNERS! and DEFINITELY NOT HELPFUL at all -  What does this reflect about our PEOPLE in our service? Filling the vacancies with more and more of the "Mind my own business people?"

Truly disappointing! No, no, no... I'm not going to change my impression of this particular ill-mannered bispectacled long hair creature!

My Consolation after the 3-hour ordeal...
I was glad that I have a good reason to get out of this unpleasant situation - the Wild card was that I was not even registered for the workshop! So what when that creature and others at the table started to express interest in what we do in the school after knowing where I came from...

The morning part ended at around 1 pm. After making my way to Chua Chu Kang MRT station, it was almost 2 pm! The best way to console myself of the unpleasant start of the day was to have a good meal for lunch... 

Treat for myself ~ Ramen @ Ajisen, Lot 1, Choa Chu Kang

No comments: