Saturday, September 25, 2010

宽容

Recently, someone made a comment: "Saw you in that classroom (doing lesson observation) and were grinning throughout..."

Hahaha... What do you infer from the above comment?

I guess, the first reaction is, the lesson must be excellent! (or at least very good). That's what my face showed?
Further inference: The teacher must have done a great job?
Hahahah.... having a smile on the face at a certain context could lead to so much inference... and probably people start jumping into conclusions.

So, am I suppose to be more stringent with my smiles? hahah... ok, no offence to the one who commented.
Hm... I thought, I would just laugh it out without giving him my reply.
However, I added, "that's to create a comfortable environment to the teacher."

I subscribe to this practice - regardless of how good a lesson is. Basically is to create a conducive environment. Be the visit is for evaluation or developmental purpose, I think it's my responsibility to create a safe environment for my colleague to demonstrate their best. This, in fact, is an extension of the PETALS model (which is meant for students).

I guess I learnt from my experience. I could be easily pick up facial responses or body language from the observers and somehow make inference of the spot. Hm... one might say, I lack confidence? Haha... maybe, maybe not. But it does affect how I carry on with my lesson, my interaction with my students - my 'mood' is affected. I dislike to have a very stern and strict faces, worst still, one that looks thinking so deeply and seems to be trying to figure out what I'm teaching. Ah! I definitely hate those faces. I would be distracted!!!

Haha... see, these are unpleasant experiences that I do not want my fellow colleagues to have during the lesson - 己所不欲,勿施于人

I think, no matter if it's for evaluation or developmental purpose, the primary objective is to bring out the best of our colleagues :)

No comments: