Monday, February 23, 2009

when I'm on Leave...

...

me: ah! Fingers have been busy the whole morning... being on leave is even busier! hahaha... yes... had lunch liao :D

friend: ...what? you take leave to do work at home? wasting leave right?

me: .... er? more productive... it's so autopilot... unless am out of home... it's raining outside... cool cool

friend: you very boring leh. down here hot like mad, where got rain?

...

That was the short conversation I had with a friend this morning (via GTalk)... oh yes... that's the reaction from most people - What? Take leave and work at home? Well, if on leave and not going out the house, what else will I do? Automatically, switch on my computer and start checking email, etc... hahaha... It's just like in the past when I taught in a nearby school... when school vacation came, where would I normally end up in? hahaha.... when I were not overseas, would probably ended up in my 2nd home... of course, one pull factor was distance!

Actually what's wrong when one enjoys work? and work has become part of his/her life? Hm... please don't label such people a workaholic! Well, this person does not necessary lead a boring life!

Immediately, that reminds me a segment I read in this book "TRIBES - we need you to lead us" by Seth Godin (recently). The subheading was "How Was Your Day?" (p100-101):

It was 4 a.m. and I can't sleep. So I'm sitting in the lobby of a hotel in Jamaica, checking my email.

A couple walks by, obviously on their way to bed, .... The woman looks over me and, in a harsh whisper a little quieter than a yell, says to her friend, "Isn't that sad? That guy comes here on vacation and he's stuck checking his email. He can't even enjoy his two weeks off."

I think the real question - the one they probably wouldn't want to answer - was, "Isn't it sad that we have a job where we spend 2 weeks avoiding the stuff we have to do 50 weeks a year?"

It took me a long time to figure out why I was so happy to be checking my email in the middle of the night. It had to do with passion. Other than sleeping, there was nothing I'd rather have been doing in that moment - because I'm lucky enough to have a job where I get to make change happen....

While I was typing up the above paragraphs, it was the 2nd time I read those paragraphs... and couldn't stop myself shaking my head yet smiling when I read "Isn't it sad that we have a job where we spend 2 weeks avoiding the stuff we have to do 50 weeks a year?" So, that's avoidance? That's escape? Hahaha....

But I like what the author says, "It had to do with passion". Yes... Passion is the word. Hm... maybe here, sometimes (or most of the time?) - Passion leads to Indulgence? When one is indulged in doing sometime, will boredom comes. Am I a boring person...maybe, maybe not... depends on what perspective one takes... :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While typing this post... the CD was playing (coincidently) "Follow Your Heart" by Mario Frangoulis... It goes like this...

  • Every little tear you cry
  • Leaves your heart so heavy
  • Every time you hear goodbye
  • You wonder will it ever end
  • There's nothing I can tell you
  • The world moves on and on
  • But I still believe in love
  • Follow your heart
  • Wherever it takes you
  • Nobody knows
  • Where the wind blows
  • No one can say
  • Follow your dreams
  • Wherever they find you
  • Lost and alone, the light in the storm
  • Will always be with you
  • If you follow our heart
  • When the world's a little crazy
  • The truth's so hard to find
  • But I still believe in love
  • Follow your heart
  • Wherever it takes you
  • Nobody knows
  • Where the wind blows
  • No one can say
  • Follow your dreams
  • Wherever they find you
  • Lovers and friends, they fade in the end
  • But the love that's inside you
  • Grows stronger inside you
  • Will always be with you
  • Follow your heart

No comments: