Thursday, January 01, 2009

Ushering into Y2009

Kind of exciting in the 'crossing over' to 2009... 'cos it marks a closure to what I was involved in the last 3 years, it also marks a new beginning... not only to myself, but also where I'm going to... to totally new school! Yes, not many get the opportunity to move into something brand new together with Time.

This is one of the busiest 31 December I had so far... apart from 31 Dec 2005, which I still remember I tried to finish the very last bit that I could do in the school before I left. Oh yes, still remember, I was one of the last to go... my camp-mate, Zubaidah gave me a lift...

Of course, history repeats on 31 December 2008. Although was only at ETD for 3 years, but the amount of work things to really clear was indeed much more... I guess, while in school, I had luxury to handhold my successor whereas this time, I faced the handing over a problem... oh yes, this time did it the hard way... did a 'clash course' for the 2 newcomers, which I hope (indeed had no choice) not to overwhelm them with loads of info. Nevertheless, circumstance had helped me to prioritise what to do in the 2 sessions. On the other hand, I was glad that the other project, PD Model, is taken over by Kevin who has been with the team since we started it... moreover, with his involvement in mp3, hopefully the team would benefit beyond what the project offers on its own (in terms of perspective).

In fact, for any handover, the most challenging part is how to do it smoothly, ie. all operations remain smooth in the absence of the ex-in-charge! Ah... there's always this saying... "No one is indispensible in an organisaton". Yes, agree... nevertheless, it's always a matter of having newcomers to "repeat" the same mistakes (because of the lack of guidance from a familiar hand) or take a longer route to reach the endpoint... wasting precious time and effort.

Back to what I was doing on 31 December 2008... Crafting email after email... on workshop requests follow-ups to Baseline Support Package follow-ups... though just that few words, but it really took hours to ensure proper closures and handover via the email... of course, some advices/suggestions which hopefully will help others to facilitate the necessary discussions. Certainly, the greatest "achievement" of the day was clicking the "Send" button at 2358h to send out the very last email... yes, as an ETO... Then and no more...

Yes, was the first time my eyes remain wide open... normally, I would be asleep then... it's not my nature just to stay up to join in the countdown... thanks to work... it's the first time I was awake and could send a message to a friend at New York, to tell him the clock struck 12 then... :D

Well, the whole of the new day was forwarding email from the lotus notes account to the new email account... yes, because work started as early as May... there were more than 1000 emails to browse through... just for that particular folder... yes, it's another achievement for today... getting that folder cleared... time is pressing... as don't know when the account will become inactive... so, will continue to race against time tomorrow and Saturday...

No comments: