Saturday, January 03, 2009

Cinderalla @ Esplanade, 3 January 2009

It's a well-known fairy-tale... ah! that comes with a fairy god-mother! Didn't know it's a Chinese fairy tale till today... all the while thought it's translated to the Chinese灰姑娘.

The start was really slow... somehow, it was not uplifting through Lea Sanlonga (ie. Cinderalla) tried to... from her dance-steps... Hm... guess it's the music... Overall, none of the songs left deep impression.. just wondering, what went wrong? Even 2 of its more popular songs (I guess, judging from the response of the audience) are not that well-known... Maybe because I had not watched any Disney Cinderalla production prior to this? Two songs that I could remember.... "Impossible/It's Possible" and "Do I love you because you are beautiful?".

Look deep enough at some of the lines in these 2 songs, they set me pondering...

"Impossible/It's Possible"

Fairy Godmother: Cinderella?
Cinderella: Who are you?
Fairy Godmother:I'm your fairy godmother.
Cinderella: How beautiful you are.
Fairy Godmother: I'm made of all of your most beautiful hopes and dreams and wishes.
Cinderella: Oh, Fairy godmother, I have only one wish just now.... to go to the ball.... and I know it is impossible.
Fairy Godmother: Impossible? Bah, what's a fairy godmother for?
Cinderella: To make my wish come true?
Fairy Godmother: If you wish it hard enough. Now let me see you'll need a coach, and four horses, and a coachman, and a groom.
Cinderella: Is it possible to get those things by wishing for them?
Fairy Godmother: Well, the sensible people of this world will say(sung) Fol-de-rol and fiddle dee dee and fiddley faddley foddle all the wishes in the world are poppy cock and twoddle.
Cinderella: (spoken) Aren't they?
Fairy Godmother: Not always. The sensible people will also say (sung) Fol-de-rol and fiddle dee dee and fiddley faddley foodle all the dreamers in the world are dizzy in the noodle.
Cinderella: (spoken) And aren't they?
Fairy Godmother: Not always, especially when there is someone who loves you to help you. Now, to work. For a coach I believe I see a pumpkin over there-- that'll do very nicely.
Cinderella: A pumpkin?
.....

So, afterall, is it possible or not possible... sometimes, a fairy-tale wish could materialise... look around ourselves... look at ourselves! Sometimes can't help but believe that there's really this thing call karma...

"Do I love you because you are beautiful"

Prince:
Do I love you because you're beautiful, or are you beautiful because I love you?
Am I making believe I see in you a girl too lovely to be really true?
Do I want you because you're wonderful, or are you wonderful because I want you?
Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream or are you really as beautiful as you seem?

Cinderella:
Am I making believe I see in you a man too perfect to be really true?
Do I want you because you're wonderful, or are you wonderful because I want you?

Both:
Are you the sweet invention of a lover's dream or are you really as wonderful as you seem?


Again, it's a matter of perspective? Because I believe that's why I see it? Or seeing is believing?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One scene that impressed me was the transformation of the pumpkin to carriage... ah! It's the lighting up effect... very fairy-tale-like... then it was followed by the very cartoon scene that traced its path to the castle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Click HERE to see Cinderalla website
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: