Monday, July 23, 2007

Even taxi drivers strategise!

The other evening left office around 8.30 pm. The taxi came soon.

Got a very chatty taxi driver - we chatted for almost 20 minutes non-stop! Oh yes, once in a while, I will come across interesting characters... yes, in fact, taxi drivers can be very interesting people and they have so many things under the sun to talk about.

This taxi driver shared that he would usually come by this road (from Commonwealth Drive turn in to North Buona Vista) after 8 pm 'cos there's guaranteed business - especially from NUH. Interesting, he said he won't drive to this direction earlier than 8 pm as most people will go to the MRT stn (from NUH) by the free feeder service, that stops after 8 pm everyday. He's quite sure there isn't much business before 8 pm there.

One learning point here, it's important to study the environment and know it well - of course, it comes with analysis! so that can leverge on and gain through its 'lacking aspect'.

3 comments:

Quek Han said...

I have also come across chatty Taxi drivers. They shared their feeling, their life, even family stories.
There was once, I met a driver who did not behave like driver at all. He was humble and gentle, timidly told me he was not familiar my destination and asked me to show him the route.
My first reaction was: How can he told me that?
Upon arriving the destination, he apologized to me and charged me $1 less.
He told me he has just become a taxi driver for one week, he was a retired teacher!!

I prefer a chatty one than a mute one. Imagine in a 20 minutes journey, besides the cooling air-con, the most uncomfortable cold air blowing from that icy face!!
I took it as an opportunity to practice Hokkien, Cantonese and Teochew, most of the drivers won’t speak mandarin to me, because I looked “Uncle” ( illiterate) enough.

By the way, how’s your dad? I only saw him once, can’t recognize him.

LOH Kwai Yin said...

Yes. It's really an experience to make any taxi rides nowadays. Many a time, they do volunteer information about their family too.

For instance, I met one who talked about how he becomes a vegetarian and he seemed to know a fair bit on the nutrition of food.

Have also met one, whom, immediate talked about his problematic child when he knew I work in MOE. He even shared the sms that the teacher sent to him about. And yes, through him, also learnt that when a teacher was driven into nuts, the kind of content the sms can hold.

The other day, when I took the taxi to Choa Chu Kang, the driver shared about his childhood kampong days, especially when the taxi passed by one area (I think along KJE) where they are still lots of untouched trees there :D

Oh yes, my dad has retired for more than 5 years... He has picked up cooking and started some hobbies like learning calligraphy (on his own!) hahaha... and yes, started catching up the lost-TV times, too... watching documentaries and learning more about the world... :D

Quek Han said...

Seem your dad & I share the same hobbies: Calligraphy & watching old movies and documentaries.
I practice Calligraphy in two classes , both are free.I make new friends with same hobbies. What about ask your dad come to my class take a look? it is at 居士林。
I bought some old time china movies( qoute some: 刘三姐,五朵金花,甲午战争,画中人,红楼梦,梁祝,追鱼) does your dad like to watch China movies?