Monday, December 05, 2022

Local Production (20221204) Sibeh Strange by Chestnuts


Hardly go for local production. Most of the time, I would choose the "bigger" productions from overseas as I'm equally attracted to the props/ settings apart from the story line. Was looking for something to substitute some of the holiday emptiness (as I'm not travelling overseas this year).

Bought the ticket to Sibeh Strange, I think, together with tickets to 2 other local productions - Don't call him Mr Mari kita and the LKY musical. While Mr Marikita was 'called off' (as a few cast members were Ag+), I managed to catch it online during at a National Day online event. It was a nice one! Where I got to learn more about the composer, more importantly, his passion through the songs, which I could resonate though many of them are in Malay. Actually, there wasn't much of a cast, but it's the songs that I enjoyed. Indeed, I wondered if I would have enjoyed as much if I had watch it live? (LINK)

The LKY Musical is worth the value of money, I felt. Not because of Kit Chan (that was the first time I listened to her live) but as a whole - the story and the characters. Of course, the cast, as a whole, too. There were some parts where humour was subtly integrated into the play, more importantly, not over-doing it. It's quite refreshing - to learn a bit about LKY in the pre-LKY era (i.e. before his premiership). The story line is strong and clear, though predictable. Respect - to the character, to the cast.

Chose to watch "Sibeh Strange" as I had not watched a more 'contemporary' local performance for a long time... with a local story.... I recalled the last one I watch... probably was Dim Sum Dolly, which had a pretty nice and funny story line - with a bit of the sitcom flavour. So, why not - try Sibeh Strange?

The started with 2 ladies hoping to get the role of Kwa Geok Choo in the LKY musical. Sounded similar? Oh yes, somehow... but I wonder... if I had not watched the LKY musical, would I be able to figure out and appreciate what the 2 actresses were trying to do? Along the way, it brought back several scene, but "adapted" or "distorted"??? from the musical with more 'humour' injected into the dialogues. The audience laughed... but I was wondering, where's the respect to the character, or the original show? Something not quite acceptable, from my perspective.  

The show adopted the 'metaverse' style to bring the audience through various 'spaces' with different "revisits"... Maybe I'm not used to this rapid "jump around" - I found it chaotic and lack linkages. There's effort to bring in some of the more 'current' topics... However, they didn't leave much impressions. 






 

No comments: