Sunday, December 11, 2022

Hawker food... to what extent are we willing to queue?

 Singapore's hawker food culture?





With the opening of the new stretch of the Thomson-East Coast (TE) line, it has made some previously less accessible places more easily reached. 

I'm among those who took advantage of the new line and visited the Maxwell Food Centre twice (indeed). Obviously, several stalls here were featured in some of those food critics' blog/ website. 

It's unbelievable (to me) that people started queuing even before the stall opens and they are willing to wait more than half an hour just for a plate of noodles! 

It is quite evident which are the popular stalls where the queues never cease, at least during the lunch hours.

Will you queue to wait for the food just because its name appears in some top 10 or top 20 websites?
Some friends responded in the Facebook - there are other stalls that sell equally tasty chicken rice. 
I would not... 

Back in the NUS days, I recall, for efficiency, I would go for the roasted meat stall that has the shortest queue... to get the food quickly, finish it and return to the lab.

These days, I would not mind to pay a little more if the food is good but comes with a criteria: I do not need to queue or wait long for it. 

No comments: