Wednesday, December 09, 2015

It's more than 10 years since...

It's more than 10 years since... I had my wisdom tooth (bottom right) extracted. It was the first time I visited a dentist since primary school days... hahaha... that I successfully avoided for more than 20 years then. Frankly speaking, I had no horror dental experience... but simply did not see the need.... Until the bottom right wisdom tooth erupted (ok, I used the dentist's term) and almost beyond recognition. It was left with the crown! Hahaha... you can imagine! Because of its urgency to remove the tooth, I went to somewhere that's most convenient, basically no wait time. That's when I first met my dentist Dr Lee at Raffles Dental.

I guess because of his experience, there's no fear except exhaustion after the extraction. He was patient and I think, the regular updates helps a lot, giving assurance that things are fine... and everything's in control. He wore a surgical mask... and I had no idea how he looked like, except could recognise his hair style! (Hahaha... sounds funny? but it's true). But interesting, his full name is same as Prime Minister Lee - Dr Lee Hsien Loong Bernard! What a coincidence!
source: http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/hprof/sdc/en.html

Subsequently, I went back to review and removed my stitches; and adhered to his advice, I had gone back annually for general maintenance. He was thorough and would advice accordingly, e.g. pointing out that the stains on the teeth was probably due to medication, etc. and suggested me getting an electric toothbrush for more thorough cleaning, etc. I think it's how the messages communicated got me receptive to his advice and suggestions. The clinic had moved several times, but my record followed :) After a while, I lost track and had not visited the dentist for the recent couple of years until recently, in August, the top right wisdom tooth started to seek attention.

I did not know if Dr Lee was still at the clinic... but met a young lady dentist. Dr Kim when I returned to the same clinic. It was general maintenance. She did what Dr Lee did in the past... the 'cleaning' job; however, this time, I did not receive any information on her observations; neither did she gave any update on the procedures... ok, though it's cleaning, there are things that Dr Lee would do that I missed. E.g. After knocking the teeth, he would give a quick report on the strength, which were the ones to look out for, etc.

source: http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/hprof/sdc/en.html

So, what sets the difference between a greenhorn and an experienced dentist? 
Indeed, while I told Dr Kim that I was experiencing some discomfort before the cleaning. She reported that all looked fine after cleaning. I had to request for an X-ray to be done. Only then she "discovered" and diagnosed that the top right wisdom tooth was causing the discomfort because it had started to decay and turn hollow inside :( In a second thought, perhaps she should pay me the fees that help her learn how to diagnose where the issue was! So, if I had not ask for an X-ray to be done, the cause of the problem would not have been surfaced! After the X-ray, she, like following standard operating procedure,  suggested a tooth extraction to be done immediately! Would I leave my tooth to be treated by this dentist?! You know the answer! In addition, this is term time, and 5 days medical leave would have heavy impact on my schedule, too! Since it's non-urgent, the tooth will continue to live with me, but with special care and attention from that point onward.

Well, the tooth sought attention last week when it got chipped while I was chewing on my favourite giant fishball. It's time to see the dentist... and of course, this time, I checked and glad that Dr Lee is still with the clinic! Of course, I shall wait despite of the discomfort.

It was that familiar voice, and that familiar face (covered with a mask). I guessed that helped a lot when calming myself down as I believed I was in safe hands, and what's more, when I checked on the Singapore Dental Council website, he actually started practising since 1990. OK, I'm in the hands of a dentist who has been in practice for 25 years! and yes... he checked, and informed me the plan and describe what I would go through helps a lot! Yes, the updates along the way helped. He was trying to speed up before the anesthesia period is over, he was gentle to handle the 'push' to loosen the tooth. Unfortunately, the tooth was too 'soft' and he had to switch over to surgery to remove the remaining tooth. That took another one hour.

All in all, the one and a half hour was tiring. While I knew I was in good hands, I got nervous when the loosening work started. Having the mouth stretched for so long... it's really really tiring! Fortunately, the anesthesia numbed the right half of my mouth, including half the tongue and my right cheek. That saved me from the pain.

One point to note is, because of the anesthesia, I had the 'taste' of having part of my face numbed and experienced the inconveniences and 'lost of control' (e.g. difficulty in moving my mouth, the 'vacuum' experience when I placed the cup to my mouth. I lost control of my facial expression for a while, especially when it is still quite immense. I don't even know whether my face swell or if there's any drooling! That's scary, right? I could now better emphasize - the "helpless" feel of people who actually lost control of part of their body parts (e.g. the stroke patient).

Job done today. Took the antibotics and painkiller; and a medical certificate - to certify that I shall stay away from meetings in the next couple of days. Well, I'm glad that it's school holidays - no time loss.

Will see you again next Wednesday to remove the stitches. Cheers!

Tooth removed: 1 8



Source: http://corinnadental.com.au/why-do-dentists-say-numbers/


No comments: