Saturday, September 01, 2007

A tribute to my teachers


Like what Zubaidah mentioned in her ecard - once a teacher, forever a teacher... in chinese, we have the same saying, too ... 一日为师,终身为师. It sounds like the kungfu shows where the disciplines live with these beliefs and thoughts.

Look around, "Teachers", go beyond those through formalised learning institutions. They could be our mentors, they could be our seniors, they could be our bosses, they could be our peers, and they might even be our students!!!

Yes, every year this year, is an important day. While I was still in school, it was just an event to celebrate - frankly speaking, I knew little of its meaning in my school days! Like many today, it's just a day to celebrate and have some fun, party and no lessons! (Yes, there was one year, the class spent so much time to draw and decorate the notice board so that our teachers could not carry on with the lessons! hahaha....). What's more in the university days, when we were very 'detached' from our lecturers and tutors!

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

But looking back, some teachers that I can remember... some teachers who had make a difference in the way I think, I believe, I behave...

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

from my primary school, Beatty...

Mr Chan Kok Thye, my Chinese teacher, also the Discipline teacher. I don't call him 曾老师,I call him 曾先生 . And yes, he did not call me 桂艳.But, together with my surname: 罗桂艳同学. I looked forward attending his class... Why? Looking back, I guess because Chinese was (and still is) my favourite subject and the one that outperform any other subjects. Yes, Still remember that the only competitor at that time was Pei Pei. We were in the same class since Primary 1... all the way to Primary 6... Each year, it's either myself or Pei Pei will top the Chinese class... hahaha... anyway, we were very good friends... so, both of us were engaged in such friendly match for 6 solid years. Of course, I was also the apple of Mr Chan's eyes :D And yes, being the Head Prefect, I'm one of his left/right hand! OK, to describe him - he was lean and tall, and yes, always have a cane with him. In fact, one thing that has proven right is, acknowledgement of good performance reinforces positive behaviour and motivates one to work even harder and better. Be generous with praises!
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Another teacher is Mr Teng Kom Ming 陈老师. Yes, my Chinese teacher again in P4 and P5. Still remember that he was usually the one teacher will led the few of us to cross the busy Lavender Street either on our way to the school or on our way home. Oh yah, his timing was always so predictable... still remember that once, the road was filled with so much vehicles that I almost cried when we stood on the middle of the road while the vehicles simply just zoomed past us, front and back! Ever since that incident, I insist (till now) that I'll cross in a safe manner - traffic lights, zebra crossing, overhead bridge and underpass... yes, they're a must! Also, it pays to be late than never...

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Mrs Hum, my P2 form teacher who also taught us English. Still remember the painful hits by the wooden ruler on my palms because I cheated in the English spelling! I was still puzzled why such as foolish act - as a child, scoring full marks is important to me then. It was the first and last time. This was the most unforgetable and important lesson learnt. No more after that... no matter how desperate. Honesty! Honesty! Honesty! I will never forget to uphold this value.

Another unforgetable instance happened in an English lesson again and I think, to some extent, after that instant, I quietened down alot. It was not because I was talkative, but I became more conscious and cautious when I speak in English! Still remember the story - "King Solomon and the 12 Children" that tells how the King used his wits to solve the puzzle. It was the first time I was caught not able to pronounce the words "Child" and "Children" correctly. The worst came when I still could not produce the words despite she repeatedly correct me in the same session. That was devastating to an 8-year-old child! My self-esteem was badly hurt! For this, I always remember that self-esteem is very fragile - so, it takes one's extra effort to ensure children learn in a safe and conducive manner...

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Ms Sally was the one who made me realise my forte in music... Hm... I played the chinese instrument 月琴 since kindergarten, but I did not know I could sing :D (oh, it sounds funny right? Everybody can sing... but to sing in a choir!) I was selected to be part of the choir to sing in the competition - ok, still remember one of the songs - The Spider and the Fly. Hahaha... still remember how to make it sound cheeky when we impersonate the spider... and thanks to her for introducing another song to us - When You're Smiling.... That, I learnt no matter who comes, smile... it's magical... it breaks the wall between people... smile... to look at the better and brighter side of things. Thanks! I'm still practising that!

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

My Secondary school days at Temasek...

Mrs Gan, my Science Teacher who's very motherly... not very tall... always see her in the Science lab.
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Another is Mrs Ang, who was at the plump side. She was not very fierce, but she looked fierce, probably because of her bright red lipstick! Can imagine when she talked, it's like the 血盆大口! That explains why I never own one bright red lipstick!
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
I think, among all the Science teachers I had in the secondary school days, the most classic one would be Ms Rama. She was a beginning teacher when posted to the school. Still remembered that she liked to describe the canteen of TJ (but could not remember under what context). She's now the HOD/Maths in BNSS. Well, she taught us Physics - one of the most 'abstract' subjects in Sec 3. I'll never forget who we did during our Physics lessons - it was practically a copying session. The whole class turned into human photocopiers!
But somehow, we passed our exams. I think, that explains... when a child is successful (pass or fail an exam), what matters most is how the child reacts to the situation... the teacher is good, it enhances the performance... if the teacher is unable to provide good guidance yet the child is smart or found his/her way, he/she can still succeed!
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Mr Goh Aik Choon was the most animated teacher we had. He added life to our Additional Maths lessons. OK, bear in mind that back in the early 80s, computer was still an alien term to all of us! Could still remember how he moved from one end of the classroom to the other, to illustrate what's meant by displacement. OK, he was also a discipline master. He was known to be fierce. However, he was totally different when resumed the role of teacher. In fact, the class was surprise and never knew why he was replaced by Ms Rama... But having been in the system now, I think it's because of re-deployment due to new staff... what shortlived joy to learn the subjects!
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Ms Teo was best remembered of her big ear rings. Yes, her colour sense - her pairs of ear rings always matched wtih her dress that came with a thick belt and of course, a matching pair of heels! What else I remember about her class? Hm... She knew when to give a pad on our shoulders. She bothered and care to acknowledge improvements made by her students ... and more importantly, I think, I worked for me! :D
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

Oh yes, how could I missed out my Chinese teachers. There were Mr Sim 沈老师 (外号:沈胜衣), Mr Fong 方老师 (外号:方得老). Of course, another young teacher who was always bullied by the class 刘老师. A very nice lady who bothered to check and find out more in order to answer to our queries. The last time I met her was at NAS, when she did a follow-up on a project with the Chinese department. Well, while in TMS, I still did well in Chinese... however, the kind of enthusiasm and motivation seemed to have shrunk. Why? Hm... I think it's the teacher's factor! Teachers do make a difference!
~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~
Among all the teachers in TMS, we all know there's one whom we can't "play, play" with... That was Mrs Yang, the Home Economics Teacher! She was in her early 40s (I guess at that time)... she was well known for being very fussy. Oh yes, we suffered alot during the Home Economics class. It was really 不动为妙. The 3-4 periods per week was the most stressful lessons of all! Now, try to see from her perspective - hm... perhaps, it's the high standards that she demanded from her students?

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

It was quite unfortunate that as I moved higher and higher, there seemed to be lesser and lesser that I could recall... Just wondering, when we said, teachers made an impact on the students' life... then who left the deepest impression with the students? I think, for sure (in my case), it's my primary school teachers! The least, the ones in JC. In JC, the impression is really, only the fittest survive, especially when in one of the top JCs then, Temasek.

My JC days? Apart from my CCA, it seems dry... Lecturers? Tutors? Hm... my impression was they didn't care much... as of the well-being of the students, except getting them to hit the number of As (yes, now I know these are their KPIs!). So, KPIs were not new to the system!

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~

~ These are some e-cards from friends ~





No comments: