Monday, September 03, 2007

The "阴" and "阳" of fighting mozzies

The other day, a few of us were talking about who's more prone to mosquito bites (in the context of the dengue phenomenon). Then recall reading this article in "Mind Your Body" (August 8, 2007).
  • Can garlic keep mozzies away?
  • Drinking alcohol attracts mosquitoes?

What attracts mosquitoes...

  • alcohol is yin or expanding. Having alcohol in the blood thus attracts mosquitoes, which are compact - that is, contracted or yang creatures.
  • So... mosquitoes are yang?
  • Other yin food includes sugar, carbonated drinks, most food chemicals. Excessive amounts of fruits will also attract mosquitoes.

What keeps mosquitoes away...

  • Foods with qualities opposite to that of alcohol and sweets.
  • This would be salt, which is very yang or contracting.
  • Macrobiotics recommends umeboshi, a salt-pickled sour plum similar to the sng boey. But it has to be of natural, organic quality. Umeboshi containing chemical food colouring may not work.

My personal experience...

While in Bhutan, I was surprised why I was attacked by insect whereas people living under the same roof (ie. the locals) were not affected... One of my local friends casually joked, "It's because your blood is fresher and sweet."

Hm... In a way, it was true, I thought... the locals do not fancy chocolates though they like to chew gums! I love chocolates! Indeed, I imported my favourite chocolates... so, the sweetness in my blood attracted the undesireable attraction!

Another point: The locals love chilli, which is one of their 'staples' (of course, besides rice)! So, chillis are too hot for mosquitoes! (I guess...)

No comments: