Saturday, April 07, 2018

Things that make us feel Singaporean

This was a post I noticed crafted last year but remained as a draft...




"Things that make us feel Singaporean" is the theme of the photo competition organised in the school. Indeed, some suggested categories are food, places, buildings - which, well, are things that we can quickly identify the "Singaporean" elements in.

Famous landmark? Hm... the Changi Airport control tower? The Esplanade? or the Singapore Flyer? oh yes, those that are commonly highlighted as "must go" places in Singapore!

Food is another popular item, definitely. This year, "Rojak" becomes something quite representative! Yes, it's a rojak society - yet, with much attention given to the details and the on-going refinement and experimentation, the Singapore Rojak has become (or should be "should become") more and more tastier each day!

So, what "elements" bring my heart closer to home?
Indeed, the fist item that cross my mind is my Singapore Passport - an official document that I would always proudly flash it at the immigration counter whenever I'm overseas. Of course, we know that our passport is high in demand!

Next thing is the National Day Song! Well, I still like the ones we learnt in primary schools! A check from the internet tells me that the first NDP song is "Stand Up for Singapore" (link)! I love its patriotic tunes! (just bear in mind, the Singaporean "patriotic" tune sounds very different from those in China"!). Read the lyrics carefully, they are simple yet meaningful. I must say that the collection of NDP songs in the 80s and 90s are representative of the progress, spirit and growth of the island country. It's all about celebration. The last one that I really like was "Home", which was especially meaningful to me when I was away from home for that one year!

There are 2 notes in the image, a $1 note which is no longer in circulation while the other is a $2 note. They represent the emphasis in two "eras" - See what's the image the $1 note bears? It's satellite, it's the orchid. What do they represent? They marked our progress! Soon, in the $2, it reminded us the importance of the only resource who have in this tiny island - the people. And education is therefore a strategic and important area that the country needs to look into, and invest in! Well, Education has been the 2nd just behind Defence in terms of the allocated budget.

Notice the POSB Bank Passbook? That's the version I had when I entered Primary school. What caught my eyes is the line at the bottom of the cover - "Guaranteed by Government"





No comments: