Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading "5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace (II)

Continued to read the chapter... next one, Words of Affirmation...
It highlighted the following as the most common settings in which words of affirmation can be spoken effectively:
  • Personal, one-to-one
  • Praise in front of others
  • Written affirmation
  • Public affirmation
I must count myself lucky that I had the honor to receive affirmation through the above channels, and definitely, that brought me to cloud nine!

Not one, but a few of my bosses (over the past 10 years) had reaffirmed that, especially during the annual work review, I'm a valuable asset of the organisation. Those words, till today, remain printed in my mind.

While some have this stereotyped notion that Asians usually reserve their praises, I'm fortunate that my bosses are generous to praise, it's an acknowledgement of the effort that brought about the desired outcomes. And of course, it's not just verbal, but also written forms.

Thankful for the acknowledgement... and tells me, yes, you are doing well, on the right track.
On the other hand, is this enough to keep me going?

What else to be done to consistently send the same message out, so that it would not be seen as a choreographed kind of 'pats on the shoulder'? What has made me think otherwise? One would be surprise why one could be so 'ungrateful'???? From another point of view, it's just a means to tell one that you are doing the right things (i.e. stating the fact), and so... "I" actually deserve it!

I think one important thing is, those who give the affirmation has to be consistent in sending the messages and in the 'appropriate manner', and how "other" messages are conveyed? Inconsistency kills the ground work and good work done. It would be misinterpreted as being hypocrite! One one hand, one is 'made' to believe of being 'valued', on the other hand, one's 'destiny' (or what one would do) lies in the supervisor's hands to decide how to manipulate the resources? No one likes to feel like a chip on the chess board! That's how one is made to believe that one has been "valued"??????

Alignment in messaging and one's action matters!

No comments: