Saturday, January 15, 2011

Areca nuts...

The conversation started when we saw a palm tree along the way to school and OCY pointed out that that particular species bear areca nuts that are not edible.

It generated a pretty interesting discussion.
Indeed, I would connect areca nuts to the Bhutanese. That was my very first encounter of areca nuts... so was so easily and readily available, be it in town or villages... be it in Thimphu or Paro. Be it villagers or educators! It's not related to profession or socio-economic status (I believe). It's a culture, I think.

Oh yes, those unforgetable disgusting red and orange patches on the ground! In my early days in Paro, I was always puzzled why the locals were so careless, spilling red/ orange paint all over the place. Er.. of course, next question was, why these colours only? 

After a while, I learnt that it was caused by the chewed areca nuts that were spit on the ground. I just couldn't understand... today, I still do not understand why do people like to chew the dried areca nuts (wrapped in betel leaves)? The entire mouth turned orange, with that er.. smell... and then... spit them on the ground... I really really could not understand this culture/ practice of chewing dried areca nuts! When it's not properly disposed, the only word to describe was, "disgusting".

That's something unforgetable about this country with unique culture... well, what I related was something I observed more than 5 years ago. Well, things would have changed for a better (I believe) as the country progresses :)

Of course, another place once known for it was Taiwan - the betel nut beauties" - sexily dressed young girls who sell betels... of course, they were tapping on the weakness of the opposite sex for extra income. On the other hand, it created a culture in some places in Taiwan. EL and OCY shared that some would just placed the package of nuts at strategic location (of their body) where the buyer would pick up the package of nuts. Well, well... disgusting, disgusting...

Grateful that we don't observe these in the sunny island...

No comments: