Sunday, December 26, 2010

2010 Year-end School Reflection

Last year, we had one round... I remember the task was more challenging, when we were to create a short clip on it... I recall mine... was in fact, a recap of the journey since Day 1 (that was in 2008 April) till before the tyre started to hit the road (which what Mrs Chew likes to say). That was a recap, not just what I did, but also a promise, a renewal of my commitment to what I did this year...

I'm not sure, if you ask me, a promise to??? myself or the organisation... sometimes, I really could not quite tell the difference... I guess, it's all because I don't see it as a job, but it's a means to fulfill a dream, a dream which I think probably not easy to materialise, but I found a place that I could probably do so?... and there's alignment of my dream and what the organisation aims to achieve, I suppose... though my dream is a smaller one, compared to the organisation's as a whole.

To make it come true... no doubt, lots of hardwork... I guess, not just hardwork, it's also hardship... It takes place in many forms - not only the usual ones, but also the stress to battle with. Often, the stress came from self - for 'wanting' to do well, for the 'fear' to see things go haywire, I guess, lots of this got to do with self expectation, and assumed expectations that others have on me ... well, these are within my circle of influence and I could manage it at my hand. However, there were also stress created by others, which sometimes was unnecessary and undesireable. This 'stress' became stress because it has an impact on (or probably hinder)  my work progress or quality of output. So, I think this was the greatest challenge I faced this year.

Getting into real action and 'flowing' along with the action was something that I could not imagine before the project was in action. Not just dealing with projects, but also dealing with humans with different ways of thinking and expectations, dealing with human beings who claimed to be in the same professional field yet acted and behaved otherwise! ah! That caught me in surprise, and of course, those unrefined emails that flew across the cyberspace. I would not have expected such from supposedly refined human beings! oh! Leopards' spots would stay put, no matter how hard it tried ot disguise!

I think, in 2010, I had really turned twitter and facebook status update into another avenue to let my steam off. Yup, needed a place to let it out, sometimes quite badly, all because I could not figure out why some human beings behave or think so 'abnormally' or so 'ridulously'! Or, maybe I was the odd one who rationalised things using a different set of logic or logarithm? I wonder? Well, that also prompted me to let out my frustrations in a more refined manner - have to do what I preach... as a result, have also sharpened my art of writing, became more creative, too!

In terms of achievement, I think, I would measure my success based on others' success. Yes! That's where impact become visible and therefore tangible. Others' gain, indeed, was my gain :) There were also opportunities for me to present and share beyond the local audience. While it's an affirmation of the work done, I would not have these opportunities or exposures without the present "springboard". I am grateful of that :)

Certainly, apart from what I could do within the environment I'm situated at, I'm also very thankful of the help and support from friends who work with me under various context! The encouragement and extra hands :)

Also, something new to the me, was being 'freed up' from my teaching duties in the 2nd half of the year to focus on the projects. Grateful to the management's understanding, and also the confidence on me :) Yes, I was left 'alone' most of the time to work at my own pace own target (of course, it aligned to the bigger targets). It was an experience.

No comments: