Saturday, October 16, 2010

Value system...

Last night, attended the 1st session of the 1st intensive of the new module, "Multicultural Society and Education Policy". Indeed, this is a very fairly class, with more than 30 students.

At one point, the discussion was on a photo that shows a landlord in a commanding posture, with both arms rested on 2 subordinates. We were to talk about "How different is the theory of culture from the one you used in your teaching".

When it comes to CLOSE interaction with students, I guess there are always 2 schools of thoughts - from the administrator's and the teacher's perspectives.

It's natural that one's care and concern is usually demonstrated through body language - gestures and tone. There's no doubt that sometimes teachers would pat the child's shoulder as an expression of encouragement... however under a different context, in a different culture, the child might interpret it differently. The 'messaging' would be totally opposite and taken as a negative act! So, could one defend himself or herself for the gesture or act? Something I wonder...

I was also totally surprised, or stunned when some fellow educators reacted - "I touch my students and there is nothing wrong!" and added they go clubbing with students, etc... and they felt that it was fine! ... while back in school could retain that student and teacher relationship...

I just wonder... what's the reaction of the school leaders of these teachers?
My first reaction: It's ridiculous! It's unacceptable... definitely it's against my value system.
Hm... or... I belong to the "older generation"?

It's not the only channel to build rapport with students. There are more than one ways to get to know them better, to build the relationship with the students....

When nothing goes wrong... It's alright...
When it goes wrong... it becomes ugly...
I think it's no longer just a matter of maturity... it's a matter of values that one upholds...

No comments: