Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sustainability... in blogging

Was doing some houseekeeping to this blog... and noticed that have not visited many of my friends' blogs for quite sometime.

Indeed, a number of us went into blogging at almost the same period... in the past 2 years... I guess, it's a effort to inspire each other, and with that starting belief that it's a platform where we would keep in touch with one another... Well, at that time, Facebook was not as popular as it is now.

It's the enthusiasm... and commitmment... and perseverence... that I think is needed for the blog to be 'sustainable'. Visited a number of blogs this morning... (those parked on the right panel). Noticed that a few of them stopped for quite sometime already (just to name a few):
  • Kevin's "Orange" post has remain evergreen since 2008
  • Irene's Photo Album and her 'resolution to re-start her blogging effort' remains in 2009
  • Ching Ya's glass of water remains half filled since last July. She has not drunk the remaining half or fill it up to the rim yet
  • Richard's last stocktake was this February

Of course, there are those who have been keeping it alive with everyday learning and sharing... like Yunn Huan's, Irfan's and Passang's... and of course, mine :)

What makes it on-going? Hm... at least, for my case, I think I enjoy the kind of 'privacy' in the blog... when it's not 'mixed' with many other stuff... it's clean... and it allows me to organise my thoughts (related to different matters) in a very clean and neat way. In fact, Facebook provides another avenue for 'blogging' - which is via "Notes"... Nevertheless, it's not as neat as using the blog - if I were to organise my posts as "My Thoughts", "My Learning", "My Travelogue", etc... get what I mean?

Oh yes... am still expanding my "BLOG" empire... hahaha... while "My Firsts" and "My Learning Journey" play the key documentation platform... My Travelogue would expand as I leave my footprints around the world. Oops! Not to forget blogs created other accounts for other professional work...

I guess, if someone were to ask me to name one of the greatest achievement in my life... I guess it's really "creating the blog empire, to have my existence felt upon exit"

3 comments:

star said...

Er... xiao jie... my last batch of photos uploaded this Jan... after that, it's mainly work-related photos. haha... all of which contain pics of colleagues, who may not wish to become any more famous

lack of sustainability in blogging? Er... to put it simply,
(1) too busy with work & studies, which leads to
(2) nothing much to post

haha... you take care. Dropped by NAP the other day, but had back to back meetings - else would have given you ppl a call to see if u are still on that campus.

LOH Kwai Yin said...

@ Star Irene

:) Long time no see & not heard from you... How are you?

Ah! Agree with you... I think TIME is the key reasons. Sometimes I started to compare the number of posts I put up in the current month of the year compare with same month in the previous years... hahaha...

That's also the reason why I now make an attempt to get my travelogue done within a week (sometimes immediately upon return)... otherwise, the good memories would be 'shelved' in fading memory while the photos would never get the chance to see the world...

Sadly, have stopped working on the real photo albums in the recent years... I hope I could...

BTW, we have already 'shifted' to our holding site since last May, now at Clementi, Ave 6. The new campus is in-the-making now :)

Cheers!

star said...

wah! very dedicated blogger :) Mine has been ignored for too long... but no time to sit down to type... hahaha...

hmm.. think my next album will be on fireworks again. I gonna be hardworking and OT nx few sats, from 7:30 - 8:15 pm :P

Ok... see when u all sch hols, we go lunch / dinner bah