Sunday, August 24, 2008

Dance Image '08

The ticket's from a friend... Have not bought any ticket to watch any dance performance before... I guess, it's because, I think... (er... I believe???) I yet know how to appreciate dances... Somehow it never clicked me... although dances are pretty common in schools - Chinese dance, Malay dance, Indian dance, HipHop dance, Modern dance... So far, saw a dance at NYGH (I think) some years back... It was a ballet... and so far, that's the only one that really impressed me... nevertheless, it did not strike me to learn more about this form of arts....
~~~~~~~~
Was trying to figure out what the title "Dance Image" means... maybe it's a direct translation of 舞影, I guess, ... it referred to the graceful movements of the dancers and their accompanying shadows...

Initially thought it's about Chinese dances for the night, as it kicked start with a traditional chinese dance followed by a Tibetan dance and a Mongolian dance... but then... it moved on to Malay dance with the song "Chan Mali Mali Chan"... then a modern dance!!! Oh no! What a rojak, my heart screamed! So, what's the focal point of the entire performance, I wonder...

The first dance used pink to symbolise the young awakening spring... pink costume, pink fan and pink handkerchief... the dance was not that impressive... somehow, the dancers could not bring out the graciousness of a chinese dance...

Then came the next one, Tibetan dance! Ha! Immediately, imagines of my Bhutanese students appeared before my eyes! Yes, still remember watching their house performances! Though they are Bhutanese, but because of the closelessness in their culture, can really feel the kind of strength and openness in their dance steps and movements... which was totally absent from this 2nd dance... the stiffness, the swings... too fake... disappointing, although the colours is brighter and the tune they used is lighter... no, no... nowhere near, I'm afraid.

The Mongolian dance was no better... it's the stiffness that spoils the whole thing... I guess (from someone who rarely gets in touch with dances). Of course, my benchmark would be what I saw in TV dramas! hahaha....

Didn't know that I'm able to decipher modern dances till the last item... that tried to describe the damages made to the environment - by natural disasters as well as mankind... Ha! Here, I'm clever :P Part 1: The dancers in green and pink to symbolise nature... the undisturbed earth (I guess)... then Part 2 came 9 dancers in orange/red outfit while another 9 in blue... I believe they represented natural disasters - orange/red for earthquakes and fires while blue for floods, tsunamis and hurricanes! Then after a while... tens of plastic bottles of different sizes covered the dance floor! ha! that's damages by mankind? I guess so... Eventually, the last part when a young child picked up a couple of bottles to throw them into a recycle bin... there it ended...

Hm... the performance was not impressive... but I guess, to the performances, it's an achievement... after hours of practices and having to pick up the courage to perform in front of the hall of audiences... That reminded me of the days when I performed in the same place for our college's 10th year anniversary - the Rhapsody... Yes, it's a memorable one...to me, at least.

No comments: