Thursday, April 03, 2008

Stupid Promotions, Stupendous Price

Can't remember who printed and circulated this article (dated 7 July 2005, TODAY), but only got the time to read it today. Felt connected to it... I guess, I won't be able to connect with the writer if I read this in 2005. Yes, the year when I returned to Singapore. Till then, I could not imagine myself being under the 'care' of such bosses (as described in the article). No, no, no... on the other hand, I must say, I was very very fortunate, and I would still say so after N years since I left the school... really appreciate the care I received there and then.

One of the must horrifying thing is not when the manager is under-trained or secretly doubts his/her abilities, but is someone who is blind to his/her flaws and thought can get away with it because of the high mobility of staff in the work place. Such a person has already known his/her flaw and now see it as a 'default' characteristic that others have to put up with.

Agree with the writer the fact that such person won't be able to "understand, inspire and engage people". Instead, this person would only do more harm (than anyone else) to the organisation by harming and victimising others! Oh gosh!

I like the way the 'material for negative education' was described... it sounds so real... isn't that some matches what I encounter?
  • the figures the manager had been submitting did not add up and her team had become the worst performers...
  • reorganising territories... longer working hours
  • took away individual rights to make on-the-spot decisions, insisting approving everything herself - which created more paperwork and costly delays
  • insisted on weekly out-of-work hours sales meetings...
  • constantly berated the high performers and when challenged by seniors, blamed on individual performances, absenteeism or sickness

Interesting, it was reported that within a shrt time, figures begin to slip and within 5 months, 4 out of the 9-person team left or got a transfer!

Doesn't that sound familiar?

No comments: