Monday, September 02, 2024

[F-Diary] #8c MON 2 SEP - back at NUH

Was back at NUH... This time, to the main building which will be a place I frequent in weeks to come - for review and rehabilitation. 

The wait was long. 
Had my blood pressure measured first... then saw the doctor.

After 1 week... the right hand and wrist area at last got to see light and breathe some fresh air. Looked ok as there wasn't any open wound, fortunately. 

I was quite shocked when the doctor told me that I would need to undergo surgery because the fracture was bad, and it was necessary to recover mobility. What made puzzled was she was looking at the X-ray taken before the A&E doctors attempted to treat it. OK, thanks for informing and now I know how serious the fall was.... but, what did the X-ray taken after the pull was done? You did not even look at it and started telling me the need to go under the knife? I can't believe it!

The surgery would involve a "tiny" method piece to support/ uphold or strengthen the wrist. The thought of having a method piece to be inserted was really a big turn-off.

The entire conversation followed was focused on addressing my fear, trying to convince me the benefits - which not much of the difference. Indeed, I was more anxious on when it will get healed and the amount of time that is needed to rehabilitate, whether the intensive marking will make delay the recovery or have any negative impact to the healing. Proposals like extending timelines and reallocation of load didn't register well with me. I felt there is a communication breakdown. I felt that she seemed to be pushing her "agenda" when she wasn't even armed with the relevant information! 

The next thing is... to do an X-ray to see how far it has progressed, after being on a half cast for a week. 

While waiting to do the X-ray, trying to warm up the fingers with some gestures that the doctor advised...  


Photos taken before going for the X-ray to check on the progress

X-Ray on 2 Sep shows pretty good progress. Indeed, I have the A&E doctors (Dr Kong and Dr Poh) to thank. Also, Dr Lim's re-assurance when I returned to the hospital that very evening. To Dr Gupta, it was a surprise that the bones were quite nicely aligned now, tilted at a reasonable 22-degree angle. She no longer pushed for surgery. She even offered the option of using the removal plastic cast that can be removed for cleaning, as compared to a hard cast. The degree of seriousness seemed to swing to the other end! I was quite relieved.

Very quickly, Dr Ellen Lee, the senior doctor dismissed the use of the removal cast as the wound would still need the support for the bones to grow. Immobilisation with hard cast is necessary at. this phase. 

The next question sound valid - on the intensity of work that my wrist needs to handle. While it will not be back into its original condition, the surgery will help to handle work of greater intensity like doing intensive work like lots of frying/ cooking and cleaning. It seems to me the more labour intensive work. Of course, the bone that faces the table might made its presence more felt as it's no longer fully in place.


A comparison - before and after:



I requested to have some time to think first though I know I'm against the surgery option. From experience, I also learnt that I must never close my door entirely. I'll be back next Monday to have it X-rayed again, to see its progress. Deep inside, I think I have faith with the work by the A&E doctors. Nonetheless, just wait for another 7 days...

Here, doing the hard cast. The technician, Azeem was a bit surprised that I q=would be back to remove the cast in a week's time. 

Nevertheless, he gave good advice to handle the cast, and reminders (and reasons and implications) on why it is necessary to "uphold" my right elbow - to prevent blood clots. Also the reminders to do simple stretching exercises for the fingers. Thanks for the patience to answer my questions!



Will be back in a week's time.



No comments: