Sunday, September 08, 2024

[F-Diary] #14c SUN 8 SEP - Miss Saigon

It's the 2nd time I watch the musical. The last time was also in Singapore, and I could not recall when or where it was... but it was so long ago. I could vaguely recall the story line. I guess what drew me there in the past was because of its stage set-up, hey, in which musical would one finds a helicopter on the stage? Of course we know it's a famous production that receives good feedback. Unlike Les Miserable or Phantom of the Opera, none of the songs registered in my head.

Indeed, I thought quite hard before clicking the payment button. It was in May, when I bought tickets to several show this year, that time was thinking of treating it like a compensation for not travelling out of Singapore in June. The date is the last day of the Sep holidays - to mark the end of the school holiday. From another perspective, it's like giving myself a treat before another crazy term starts.





Briefly, it's a tragic love story as a result of the America's involvement in the Vietnam war. It probably resonates many real cases - when the American soldiers fathered children with Vietnamese women. Kim and Chris are probably one of the many couples who fall in love and bear children, whom many Vietnamese would have hoped that it opens up a channel for them to leave the country. Yes, it reflects another reality - the Vietnamese' America dream. This stronger desire not only consistently portrayed by the pimp, who called himself "the engineer"; but also in the last scene where Kim would rather sacrifice herself so that Chris would bring the child back to America.

yup, I just learnt that Saigon is the name of the current Ho Chi Minh City.



No comments: