Monday, August 26, 2024

[F-Diary] #1 MON 26 AUG - The Day

It was supposed a happy occasion - the staff breakfast at the atrium marked the week long celebration of the staff appreciation week. We spoke about going to the floor ball match that we missed last Wed. 

It was at around 8am.

Stepped out of the stairs, turned right... and there my right foot tripped over something hard, a metal structure that's too close to the corner! The 2 cups flew off my right hand. Fell with the right of the body landing on the ground first. Then a sharp pain at my right wrist. 

A look at my wrist - deformed! FRACTURED? I thought. 

Very quickly, help came. 

Guohui and Mui Luan acted very swiftly.

"Do not move her." they intercepted when someone asked if I could stand up.

"Are you ok? Do we feel giddy?"

I was fully conscious - the pain came from my wrist and my kneecaps (as there were the places that hit the ground hard (enough). But, fortunately, there was no other physical injuries. 

I was calm. 

Chopsticks, elastic bandages and the triangular bandage came. We were first aid trained. Real world application! I knew I was in safe hands as I told people around that they were qualified first aider... haha... to add a little jest for the onlookers, assuring them that I was ok. Painful? Yes, it was manageable. I could feel the sweat on my head, that I know the amount/ extent of pain that my body is managing. Yup, the worst so far experienced this year was when I had to walk with unbearable pain on my left foot when my blouse was soaked in sweat by the time I reach the MRT station after a 10-min walk.

Jokes aside, the more important things came to my mind - the test paper review with S1-01 and the Bandung trip.

  • The lighted moment was who to "arrow" to replace me for the trip 😂 For this, I'm not worry as there were still a few days before departure, and I had done the key things I took charge of - the RAMS, and I had also passed the luggage tags that I took from the SQ counter to Priscilla in the morning. 
  • What I was more concern with was the script review. Fortunately, the reflection papers were printed and on my table, and the materials are all in the school, and the results were already entered into the system. 

Thankful to the colleagues who swung into action so quickly. A wheelchair was already at standby to ferry me to the staff room. Oh yes, to my surprise, the 2 cups, gifts from colleagues survived the drop! Grateful that Keith helped to picked them up and offered to wash them, and even asked whether I would still like to have some food.

Having a clear and calm mind was definitely very helpful. I don't think I was in a shock for long - perhaps, that short few seconds - the fall that lasted for that few seconds. Once helped to sit up, my mind already started to race in a very systematic manner and directed the assistance I needed, including what must go with me to the hospital - my bag, my phone and the computer; who I need to seek help to go class, where to get the stuff, what else was needed (e.g. mark sheet). 

Grateful to Karen Teo who was there by my side from atrium to General Office to the hospital. 

And yes, Doreen who found my device and chauffeured me to NUH, with Karen Ng, despite they had a meeting at NP at 9am.

Thought, I think it's very "me" to look at the more optimistic side of things - that prob also help to distract me from the pain. Certainly, the people around helped a lot - more importantly, they are calm, too...

***

The A&E department was unusually quiet, I thought. Only one person ahead of me. 

This caught my attention, Payment was made. I wonder, what if someone's here but can't afford the payment - pay first or treat first?


I was quite quickly attended to. The doctor... I supposed, is the gatekeeper to decide how serious the situation is to direct the cases - commented that the dressing was very neatly and professionally done. Kudos to our 2 first aiders 👍

The examination and X-ray confirmed that it was a fracture. 



Attended by Dr Poh, the A&E doctor who's on duty. She was quite obliging when I requested for the photos of the X-rays, etc. I was then attended by Patrick Kong, the senior resident doctor and tried of the situation. A seemingly "seasoned" doctor in handling wrist fractures, listing the 3 ways to approach the treatment, omitting surgery: ^Hematoma block (local anaesthesia at the wrist area), zonal (for the entire arm) and sedation - the degree of risks increases as the region is extended. The treat is the same - the pull. After some deliberations, I didn't to go for hematoma block that Dr Kong recommended. The area turned numb. Though I could feel the pull, and the pressing around the wrist area, I did not actually feel the pain. 

^Hematoma blocks are considered a relatively simple, safe, and effective technique in the acute setting to provide sufficient anesthesia and allow for closed reduction of displaced distal radius fractures


... before treatment to check on the injury 


... after the pull and put on half cast



By 12noon, I was discharged, with a half cast.
I was told that the next appointment would be next Monday, to see the bone surgeon.

***

Life that depends on the left arm began the moment I stepped out of the emergency ward. 
Being organised and plan ahead helps a lot. 

Bought the arm sling and had it adjusted - but later, I learned that it is still not as effective as the triangular bandage. Human skill to tie it matters more.

The afternoon was a busy one.... just because I have to get things organised in my absence. 
I guess.... I've "withdrawn" so much from my Emotional Bank Account - I am grateful for that. 

I am grateful to many people - especially those whom need to take over my duty - from classroom lessons to the trip duty - direct and indirect. E.g. Janet has to be activated to fill my place. Doreen in turn has to take over Janet's role to manage any emergency call. It's a domino effect.

There are many people to thank - for their help and support, and understanding for the inconveniences arise from the incident. 

Back at home.... not to take for granted the support and help available - to help me with my daily activities, including taking showers. 

Am grateful to my left hand when my dominant hand goes for a break. 






No comments: